Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My ph3100ri has spark but the spark plug was dry, after

Customer Question

My ph3100ri has spark but the spark plug was dry, after cranking the engine for sometime. I have it jumped to another battery, so it turns over fast. Fuel is good and I removed the gas cap so there's no vacuum. Help.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: 6 years old. No. Last time it ran good. But the low oil light came on and it shut down.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I put oil in it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Carburetor is not passing fuel to the cylinder. The carburetor has an electric solenoid in the base of it, this solnoid has to have battery voltage to open it. Should have 12 volts with the switch on. Is it opening? For a quick test of the engine, remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it fires for a few seconds. If it does, it is fule supply problem Either no fue to the carb, or the solenoid in the carb.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have you worked on this ph3100ri ??

It's a generator powered by a single cylinder engine, just like all the rest. No I have not had the PH3100 to look at. But I see what the carburetor and parts are.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I get power to the carb silenoid?

Did you check for voltage at the solenoid? If it has voltage, the solenoid may be stuck or bad. The solenoid gets power direct from the switch. It should have battery voltage as soon as the switch is turned on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will check this afternoon

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No power to the solenoid. So I used a jumper from the battery, just lots of sparks. And the solenoid wire does not go to the key. And if you had worked on this generater you would know there is no room to do anything.

Let's see if we can find someone who can help! I will opt out. Sorry.