Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Deere mower is runing very rough. It will run fine

Customer Question

My John Deere mower is runing very rough. It will run fine for 30 minutes or so, but then begins to cut out and almost die. For some reason it seems to be worse when the blade is running. I have changed the air filter, fuel filter and spark plug but it hasnt helped
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I think it is a John Deere 135. It is approximately 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I would start by checking the carb. Make sure it is clean and free of any unseen debris.

You can also check valve clearance and also the push rods for proper adjustment.