JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I have a Tecumseh ohh50-68023j that is part of my Cyclone

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Tecumseh ohh50-68023j that is part of my Cyclone Rake. A guy at Cyclone Rake said they have a Briggs & Stratton 13H332-0139-B8 that should be a fit. Do you have records to say this is going to work with a minimal amount of effort? I would have small engine pros work on it rather than myself, but I want to feel like its going to work before I invest in it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

It is a simple task to do this engine swap. You may have to make a cable or have one made, but as far as mounting and hookup, it will be an easy swap. they changed the engines when Tecumseh went out of business, that is why they also have the briggs engine that will work with it. They can send you the proper cable for it as well

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No cables to use. I heard that the Tecumsehs would sometimes customize a product (specifically the shaft length might be different for a particular product - like Cyclone Rake). I need assurance that that particular usage (Cyclone Rack) has a shaft length the same as the B&S
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I found that your current shaft is a 1" shaft. Most likely you are going to need an adaptor, as most engines this size have a 3/4" shaft and apparently are a little shorter than the current Tecumseh shaft. They do make adaptors for this reason though. Make sure to ask the REP there, what size shaft is the new engine come with and if anything is needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the LENGTH of the Tecumseh?
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I am unsure of the current engine shaft length. It is best to measure it once engine if off of machine. From my info, it is a little longer than the B&S shaft

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I wait until its torn apart I pay for the shop time. The housing of the Cyclone Rake is not convenient for inspecting the shaft. I will not order another engine if it "might fit" I really need to know how long it is. Otherwise this is a waste of time and I will probably trash the entire tool because my Tecumsah engine died. Please try again.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

From my knowledge and experience, you will have to modify and adapt.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question "will it fit?" it should have been simply "what is the shaft length", I made the assumption that you would tell me, since for that unit it is critical (according to the shop guys). I do not feel that this has been helpful. I've been working with you for almost an hour. I will not evaluate you, because you do not have the information. I also do not want to pay you $18 and will contest that charge with VISA. Please simply cut off this exchange now.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

It WILL NOT fit without modifications and adapters. The shaft on the B&S engine is shorter and not as wide either. The Tecumseh shaft size is 2 3/8" long protruding from inside engine outwards.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

The Diameter of the Tecumseh is also 1/4" bigger. I hope all this info is what you are looking for. If you would like to know any thing else, please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Briggs & Stratton guy has just confirmed that theirs is a one inch shaft also
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Hope everything works for you. It is rare that that size engine carries a 1" shaft. I hope all works out on this project and you can complete the engine swap to keep this machine is service. If shaft size is the same, the only thing to worry about its the shaft length, but you can install an adapter if needed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.