JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

Have 2004 Husqvarna 52" commercial ZT mower which I bought

Customer Question

Have 2004 Husqvarna 52" commercial ZT mower which I bought this season. It ran well for a few weeks then I changed blades and blade belt which was loose. Now whenever I try to engage the blades, the mower stalls out. The blades start to spin and then the engine stalls out. What can the issue be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Pull the valve cover(s) and check the Valve clearance and also the Push Rods. Double check the routing of belt and make sure blades are fully mounted to spindles also

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have no idea what you mean by pull valve covers and check clear and alsao the push rods.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

You can try to ByPass the seat safety switch just to rule it out also, as that is the main safety switch that kills the engine when blades engqaged

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have already bypassed the seat switch
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Next to the spark plugs, you have Valve covers ( normally will say OHV on them) They will need to be pulled off and inside these are 2 rods. They get bent at times. Also the valve clearance has to be at the proper settings. If you are unsure, I would take to a mechanic, as the valve clearance is a critical thing and can cause a lot of damage if ran at improper settings.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The engine runs the same way it did previously if not better, since new plugs. Why would a new belt cause damage to the push rods? Makes no sense to me.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but I think I may just take it somewhere. I do not have a good feeling regarding this.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I wouldn't, but if belt was loose, it didn't have the pressure that it does now.

This may not be the cause at all. It is the most common reason engine stall when blades are engaged.

Double check the belt routing and check to make sure belt is not jammed upon a pulley. What is the product and serial number of your mower and I will pull diagrams so I can view it aso

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Which model ZT is this?

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hope you can get it fixed and back to running properly again. Sorry i was unable to assist you further. Please RATE me for the services I was able to provide. Thank you and Have a good day