Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications

I have a lawn tractor with a 17HP Briggs and Stratton engine

Customer Question

Hi, I have a lawn tractor with a 17HP Briggs and Stratton engine 42E707-2631-E1. It had been sputtering this year. I replaced the air filter and sprayed the carburetor with cleaner. Ran OK for a while then sputtered again. Replaced old with a new carburetor and lawnmower still runs rich. and blows some black smoke. What else can I try
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It's probably 16 years old. A few mice got into the engine and built a nest over the winter. I cleaned it out and all these issues started.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can otherwise I'll buy a new lawn tractor
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

This is the older flat head engine. Do you have good flow of fuel from the tank to the carburetor? Does engine die or starts to misfire? Trying to find if it is lack of fuel or spark problem? Air filter clean, not plugged up?

Did you see my response?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did but all you did was ask me questions that were already in my first question. I don't feel like paying another $18 to not get answers.

This only works if you give me information to go on. Without a back and forth communication, I can't help. I will opt out. and see i anyone else will help. Sorry

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer,

You have replaced the carburetor but have you changed the oil ? If the old carb was leaking gas down into the crankcase it will mix with the oil and get into the valves etc . Check the oil to see if it's thin or smells like gas. If it is change it and the oil filter

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 months ago.

Hi just wondering if you got the engine straightened out ?