Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a deere lt160 and as the engine turns over fine it

Customer Question

i have a john deere lt160 and as the engine turns over fine it wont start and kinda soundslike it is slightly backfiring
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: it is getting fuel fine
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes im a retired fireman of 38 years in nashville tn and have plenty of time to tinker with mowers atv and small tracdtors
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you tried replacing the spark plug? Did it make any difference?

The other thing that comes to mind is a possible bent push rod which would cause a backfire.

Had the engine been running okay? What happened the last time that it was used if anything that caused it to quit running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine was running fine son in law said just quit and now as is turning over sounds like just barely backing but wont start

I would check the push rods in the engine, it sounds like one of them may be bent or has come loose.