Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kubota zd321 with 54" deck. The other day while

Customer Question

I have a kubota zd321 with 54" deck. The other day while mowing when I started the mower as usual and began to engage the blades, the engine died. That continued to happen so that I could not use the mower. I checked the deck gearbox oil level and discoverd that it was essentially emply. I refilled it with the correct oil, started the mower and engaged the blades. it worked making a noise for a moment then seemed to go back to normal. Howerver, after running a test mow for about 15 minutes, I noted that the mower deck was covered with black oil and on rechecking the gearbox oil it was once again emply. Its obviously not holding oil but I cant figure out where the gearbox is leaking. What is the most likely scenario? Of course I'm not using the mower until its fixed but when I take it to my dealer for repair I want to be able to give them guidance as well as make sure I don't get ripped off with them wanting to do more than might be needed. I read that Kubota has had some issues with these gearboxes so also please let me know if you have any experience with that as well. Thank you
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Most likely the input shaft seal is the leak, where the drive shaft from the tractor to the gear box attaches. It can also on the lower side of the gearbox , where the drive pulley is for the blades. The usual problem is the bearing has failed, letting the shaft move. If the oil is slung out from the pulley, then it is the lower seal. If it is close to he driveshaft, it is the input seal. Repair will be new bearings and new seals, unless it has already damaged the inner gears.

Did you see my response?