Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a onan 5500 diesel on an 07 Gulf Stream sun voyager.

Customer Question

I have a onan 5500 diesel on an 07 Gulf Stream sun voyager . It will operate the front ac unit continually but if I turn on the back ac it runs about 5 min and dies no circuit breaker trip it just kill engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello,my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model 5.5 hdkba 2733c. Spec c serial #b060891277
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Ok.

Lets see what fault code is set in the controller.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't get it to go in to fault read . I press stop 3 times and light flashes slow but continually never a pause flashed over 60 times
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

You may be pressing the switch too fast or too slow. You have to time it just right.

I have made a short video showing how to read the code.

Click here to see the video.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well Hank I have watched the video and made several attempts to get a code there are nun on it . Ran it again if 2 ac are running after 20- 30 min the gen just shuts off it will start right up and run one ac forever
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, but without a code to at least tell me what is shutting the unit down, I am going to be unable to help you.

I will opt out of this. Perhaps another expert will be able to help.