Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a 4992 generac that has performed years. All the

Customer Question

I have a 4992 generac that has performed for 9 years. All the indicator lights are blinking red. I switched the power switch to off to reset the lights but that did not work. I programmed the exercise time and they are still blinking. Both fuses are OK.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the Item number and Serial number of the genset?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not been able to find the serial # ***** the unit but I did find the number 53020911 on the engine.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I installed the unit in September '05.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found the original invoice but it did no have the S/N on it. Purchased from Norwall PowerSystems, Invoice # ***** SO# ***** and was shipped on 3/22/05
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

That doesn't help.

I need the serial number of the unit itself.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found a placard on the back side of the enclosure that appears to have been the information but it is faded out beyond reading. What does it mean when all indicator lights are blinking red? When I place in auto mode, I hear what appears to be a relay with a cycle time of about 1 minute. If you can not help me without a S/N, we are at an impasse.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I removed the 4 amp battery charger fuse and measured the voltage on the battery at over 12 volts.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

The blinking lights I can help with - that is a standard issue across all Generation I units.

It means that the exercise timer is not set.

To properly set the exercise timer, you must do it on the day and time you want the exercise to run. IE - if you want it to exercise at noon on Friday, you need to do this at noon on Friday.

With the switch set to AUTO, press and hold the SET EXERCISE button until the genset starts (about 10 seconds).

Let the genset run through an entire cycle, and shut itself down (about 12 minutes).

Do not shut the unit off during the cycle, or the exercise timer will not be set.

This is the mistake a lot of people make - they shut the unit off during the exercise cycle.

If the exercise cycle still will not set, then the controller is bad.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried that as I stated in my original post. I have tried to start the unit in manual mode as well and it does not start.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

You did not say that it would not even start in manual - that is critical need-to-know information. Remember, I can't see or hear what is going on, so I only know as muc - or as little - as you tell me.

That is also why the lights are blinking - it could not complete a run cycle because it is not starting, so the exercise timer is not set.

If it is not starting, the first thing you need to do is to check and see if you are getting spark.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.
Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.
Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.
Check both cylinders, if this is a twin cylinder engine.
Is there spark present?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I stated, I only hear a relay clicking. The engine never tries to start.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Without knowing the serial number, so I know which type of control system it has, I have gone as far as I can.

I will opt out.

Perhaps another expert can help you.