JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

Troy Bilt Squall 4 cycle 21 inch electric start snow

Customer Question

Troy Bilt Squall 4 cycle 21 inch electric start snow thrower. Sometimes hard to start. Then runs around 5 to 10 minutes and stops. Have to wait sometimes almost an hour before it can be restarted.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like it could be a fuel delivery issue. Either the fuel line has collapsed and not allowing fuel to flow fast enough into the carburetor, the fuel tank vent is not working properly or the seat for the float valve has swollen and is not allowing fuel to pass through it fast enough. After the machine has a chance to sit for a little while you will eventually get enough fuel to trickle down into the carburetor that it will start and run again for a short time and do the same thing over again.

First I would verify that you are getting a good steady flow of fuel from the tank to the carburetor. If you are then I would look at the float valve and seat.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.