timoto
timoto, Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience, Honda silver level tech., Honda power equipment tech
8313095

How do you remove trash from pump?

Customer Question

How do you remove trash from pump?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How to remove trash from the pump of a Jet
Ski
Expert:  Wayne replied 9 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

have you done the flush, hooking the hose under the hood

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This older model doesn't have place to hook up the hose.
Expert:  Wayne replied 9 months ago.

Hi

OK, I will opt-out

not sure then on yours

sorry I could not help you

Expert:  timoto replied 9 months ago.

You need to visually inspect both ends of the pump by shining a flashlight into both the outlet and the inlet. The noise may be from rocks or other debris that got sucked into the intake. In that case you will have to remove the pump to clean it out. This involves unbolting the ride plate and intake grate from the bottom of the hull/pump, disconnecting the cooling and siphon hoses, disconnecting the steering and trim cable if applicable, removing the reverse bucket and unbolting the four bolts that hold the pump to the hull. When this is done you will need to use a sharp knife to cut the silicone that seals the front of the pump intake area to the hull. The pump will then come straight out the back and will slide off the end of the driveshaft.

If there is no sign of any debris in the pump and you are certain the noise is coming from the pump then the pump will need to be rebuilt as the bearings are worn out. This is fairly involved and requires one special tool so you may want to have a shop do that part of the repair.

Please leave a positive rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can add a reply at any time in the event you need more help with this.