Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a general impact np 36 model # 00802-2 series NP 36 G

Customer Question

I have a general impact np 36 model # ***** series NP 36 G ser#(###) ###-####. Gen. Starts and runs fine but it is putting out anywhere from 125 to 130 volts with no load. Handles microwave and 1600 watt hair drier. When I turn on the A/C it starts off ok then the voltage drops like a rock to like 80 to 99 volts. The engine never falters. I have checked the a/c amp draw and it is within new specs. At a loss any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

This may be an issue with the generator brushes or a voltage regulator possibly acting up needing replaced.Unfortunately it is difficult to pinpoint the exact fault from here so this will have to be checked/tested by a repair facility that works on this model here to pinpoint and repair the cause.If this is not an option for you here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete