Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I am helping a friend with s Onan 5 MDKAU genset. The unit

Customer Question

I am helping a friend with his Onan 5 MDKAU genset. The unit starts fine and runs for exactly 5 minutest then shuts down. We wait a few minutes and restart it no problem. Again, it runs for the exact same amount of time. The time doesn't vary at all and we are checking the time with a stop watch. I suspect a temp sensor or exhaust sensor.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, fuel in the tank and valve open. Suspecting air in the fuel, I disconnected the fuel suction hose at the filter and provided fuel directly from a 5-gallon container. No change.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there a control board on this unit? I disconnected the exhaust switch at the exhaust and the engine died. That switch I believe to be normally closed. The raw water pressure switch has been changed and even with it disconnected, the same symptoms occur. The initial code we get after it shuts down is three flashes indicating a technician is required. I press the stop button again and I get a 2 and if I remember correctly an 8.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Some models have an air cooling system and if this air cooling system is blocked or restricted this can cause this type of fault here in some cases.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete