Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a c-60 xantrex charge controller. I was parked near a

Customer Question

HelloI have a c-60 xantrex charge controller. I was parked near a high powered radio station. Every since then I have been having problems. The charge controller keeps resetting itself and goes into bulk charge mode. I am afraid it is going to overcharge my batteries. It seems your EE's has done a poor job of design. They did not design for strong radio interference. Also the charge controller puts out a certain amount of trash on the radio bands. My AM radios on my motorhome are totally unuseable. I want to install a ham radio setup on my motorhome, but it appears the charge controller will be a problem. What can you recomend.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here the charge controller may be damaged internally needing replaced.I have seen some of these become damaged in the past before.You can either try and have it replaced with the same one or speak to a repair facility who works on this model here to see if they recommend one that will work for you that can be installed.If this is not an option for you on this here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, how do I speak to a repair facility about this model. I need to know how I can prevent high RF fields from damaging this unit again. I would like to have someone to look at mine and tell me just what is wrong with this unit. I need to either get this unit repaired or replaced, BUT, I need to know how to prevent the RF problem from occuring again. I plan to install a 500 watt ham radio in my motorhome and I need to have the unit RF protected.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

You would check in your area for anyone that works on this model or sells this model or similar to get this checked into for diagnosis and repair or to see about a replacement.If this is not an option for you let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete