Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1991 Yamaha Extreme (I believe its a G2) gas cart. Wouldn't

Customer Question

1991 Yamaha Extreme (I believe its a G2) gas cart. Wouldn't start before and replaced 4 post solenoid about 8 months ago. Recently was driving it and it just stopped dead. I put the multi-tester on the solenoid and it tested good (it is a used solenoid) . Now, press on accelerator and all I hear is a whirring type noise and engine won't turn over. Any ideas? I did not test the solenoid when I press accelerator. Any chance I could've gotten a bad one?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
checked the in-line fuse too and it is good
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Whirring noise coming from?? What is battery voltage, Has to be above 12.5 volts. If you jump the two cable terminals on the solenoid, will engine spin??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
didn't jump solenoid checked it w multi meter on 10V DC and it checked good
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sounded like whirring noise possibly coming from starter generator......

Jumping the solenoid is quick check of the battery, cables and starter. What did the test you performed show?

What is battery voltage when you get whirring?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
multi meter check of solenoid. battery has plenty of juice head lights bright. tons of juice coming from battery to solenoid. pegged meter to the right ...

You don't have the exact reading? Use higher scale than 10V

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have to try it again in a week or 2. The golf cart is at our lake house 200 miles away....will advise then.

If jumping the solenoid does make engine spin, you have bad battery, cables or starter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'm back at lake. Put multi tester(250DC setting) on solenoid and hit gas with key on. Solenoid clicks and starter just whirrrrrrrrrrrs. Multi tester barely moves on the 250 setting. Could solenoid still be bad not sending enough juice to activate starter/generator? Just happened on my boat. Starter wirrrrrrrrred new battery, starter whirrrrrred, new solenoid with new battery ureka! Battery checks 12 V in cart.

What is battery voltage when you hit start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On 10 DC it pegs all the way to the right. On 250 DC just moves a little.

Battery has to have over 8 volts when the starter is engaged, or it will not spin like t should. ?? I assume this is not a digital voltmeter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Put battery charger on for giggles and battery shows week. Lights are strong though.

It takes a lot more amperage for start, than for lights!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think bad battery... Solenoid clicks. Prob battery. Will circle back and I feel kinda dumb!!! Lol

OK> Let me know!