JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a 26 HP Koehler engine SV735 type 0016 that

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 26 HP Koehler engine SV735 type 0016 that intermittently acts as if it is struggling to run (out of fuel). This usually occurs after 25 to 30 minutes of run time. The engine will sputter for 2 or 3 minutes then just as suddenly it will clear up and run great for another 15 or 20 minutes, then another episode. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and the engine stop solenoid. Could this be an ignition module problem? The engine sounds as if only one cylinder is firing when the episode occurs. ....David Abner
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The engine was built on 08/13/2010 and has 430 hours on it. It powers my craftsman lawn tractor. It has never done this prior to the first episode about 3 weeks ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I believe the problem is electrical since my focus thus far has been fuel supply. I don't believe fuel is the problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Have you attempted a carb clean and rebuild? Sounds like a jet it getting clogged or too much pressure build up. when it starts to act up, open fuel tank and see if it clears up. To test ignition coils during an episode, you will need to pull each plug while its doing it, and see if it continues to run on just the opposite cylinder. Let me know if I can be of more assistance. The fuel solenoid could be acting up after a period of time, you can either replace it, or cut the needle off inside to eliminate this issue.