Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Snapper SR1330 rear engine rider with a briggs &

Customer Question

snapper SR1330 rear engine rider with a briggs & stranton 13.5 hp has 2 issues when i start it cold i to remove the air cleaner box and brand new air cleaner to start it then when it starts it runs ok but then after using it for 20 mins or so it starts revving up and down and shuts off after letting it sit for a few mins it will start and run for a few mins and does it again...and its a pull start so that sucks!!!!!!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

First, it sounds like the choke is not being pushed fully for the cold start. The throttle has to be adjusted, so the choke link is pushed to it's fully closed position when lever is moved to the choke position. To adjust, you have to unclamp the throttle cables outer housing at the carburetor end, and slid cable housing away from the carburetor. Work the throttle and watch the linkage flip up and move the choke link.

As for engine stalling after 20 minutes, check the fuel tank cap, it has to vent the tank, or a vacuum will build up , and no fuel will get to the carburetor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I adjusted the choke cable as instructed and it still won't start without removing the air cleaner assembly!!! And it made the normal throttle worse.... And I checked the gas cap and removed the screw in the top of the gas cap that holds the fuel level needle to make sure that it was venting...?so neither of these things helped me and my idle now won't idle high it just spits and sputters & dies out

OK, do you have the engine with the pulse fule pump, or is it gravity flow from the tank to the carb? Do you have a good flow of fuel to the carburetor inlet?

Did you get the choke link where it moves to the full choke position, and if you feel it with finger, it has no slack? Moving the cable housing should not affect throttle!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Give me proper procedures to fix my problems first being I already paid $19.00 and still have the same and now worse problems

See utube video above, go to 8 minute mark. to see the choke and linkage .

I see question is still open, did you find problem?