Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

System not charging 30 hp generac runs fine battery drains

Customer Question

system not charging 30 hp generac runs fine battery drains while running
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you checked the charging system? Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has voltmeter onboard starts out 12 to 13 volts full charge as i mow you can see voltage slowly drop if i stop engine battery is too low torestart motor if i wait too long to recharge battery it will die while running i assuming voltage drop not enough too keep engine running and after i stated engine i disconnected battery and engine would die

If you have a voltmeter we can check the charging system for proper AC and DC output from the stator and the voltage regulator. It definitely appears that you have one or the other giving you problems but with a voltmeter we can determine which one and get it repaired. The generac engine also has a small spade type fuse inline that could be blown that can also cause the charging system to not function properly. If you will look near the voltage regulator you should see a small black case, this case is the fuse holder, the cover or cap will snap open and you can inspect the fuse. This is a starting point to troubleshooting your charging problems.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked fuse and it is fine i will recheck it tommorrow tech said he had changed a fuse he could not remember and to my suprise it was charging when i picked it up but that did not last long and voltage droped from 13 plus volts down to not charging and has not shown any signs of charging through several manually recharging

When the engine is running your voltmeter should be reading between 14 - 15 VDC if everything is working properly.

With a voltmeter we could check the voltage output or the stator or alternator as well as the voltage regulator and then we could determine which one if either one was a problem.