Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a D105 42" mower. I have been having trouble shifting

Customer Question

I have a D105 42" mower. I have been having trouble shifting between F & R. Sometimes stays stuck in gear and I need to rock the mower to disengage. Took the mowing deck off today, belts appear fine. There was a loose spring sitting on top of the deck. I replaced it by looking at the picture in the owner's manual. The motor runs well but when I engage the blades, the deck rocks and seems off balance yet I know I assembled the deck correctly. The gear shift still is having difficulty getting into Forward and Reverse. That was my biggest concern.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the blades were engaged, the deck shook like crazy. It is not the blades from what I can determine. The main tensioner pulley on the deck was shaking badly.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The mower deck shaking is most likely caused by a bad spot on the belt that runs the blades. Every time this spot comes around through the pulleys it will cause a shake or vibration. Take a really close look at the mower deck belt too make certain that it is the same thickness all the way around the belt, any narrow spots or chunks missing from the inside of the belt will cause this.

Does the shifting problem seem to happen more often when on an incline? Or flat ground? If and incline, this is common with these machines since you have to get the gears to release inside the transmission it is difficult for this to happen when there is pressure on them from being on an incline.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The belt looked fine. It is only 2 years old. We live in NJ and the lawn is perfectly flat.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Other ideas???

My experiences in the past when you have a shaking or vibrating mower deck and it is not an unbalanced blade issue, it is normally the mower belt. Inspect is very closely looking especially at the width of the belt I bet you will find a spot that is narrow in it possibly the inside of the belt.

Have you had the blades balanced?