Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kohler 18 that had fuel drain into the crank case

Customer Question

I have a Kohler 18 that had fuel drain into the crank case over the winter time. I have just put in a new needle valve, gaskets and cleaned everything. I also just replaced the battery. I initially had it start up and it smoked beyond belief. It finally gave up and quit. Since then I checked that I have fuel to the intake of the carb and I have spark to the plug when I turn the switch. When looking at the plug it doesnt look bad, in fact it looks dry. Any ideas? I can keep turning the key but all I get is an occasional back fire.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, clean fuel, and fuel to the carb.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Engine model number? M18 ?? Twin flat head? Or single cylinder, overhead valve engine. have you ran a compression test? MAy have a valve stuck open.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

I see question is still open , did you see my response?