Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gentron 6500 Watt generator with electric start

Customer Question

I have a Gentron 6500 Watt generator with electric start that seem to get stuck and won't turn over. I bought it used and the last owner showed me that the electric start would only work with a jump start and he thought the battery was weak. I Changed the battery and put a new starter and it did a little better but would still need a jump from time to time. Now the thing won't turn over even with the cord or a jump. The wheel spins once but seems to get stuck on a magnet or something.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

If you remove the spark plug does it spin freely? What is the engine make and model? It can have a compression release that is not working. Have You ran a compression test? Too much compression can cause engine to be too hard for starter to turn the engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll try without the spark plug and see if it gets stuck. How do I test the compression? Whatever it gets stuck on feels like a magnet.

See it is spins with spark plug removed. Compression is tested with a compression gage, in the spark plug hole. Most auto supply's rent them. If compression is well above 100 psi, the compression release may be bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the spark plug out and it spins freely. Cleaned the spark plug and put it back and it went back to doing the same thing.

You can try to adjust the valves, set them to .004 inch, intake and exhaust. If no difference, check the compression.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which valves are you referring you to? Do you have a generic image of where I can find them? What does it mean that without the spark plug it spins freely?

You have an OHV, overhead valve engine, here is a video on adjusting valves on a Briggs OHV engine. Your's will adjust the same.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the cover off and noticed one of the valves was loose and the other was tight. There is also dry gunk all over the springs. Is that normal? The screw from the cover broke off inside the threaded hole! Any ideas how to get it out?

try backing the broken part out with a sharp pointed tool, like an ice pick. If the screw is too tight for that, it may have to be drilled through and an screw extractor used to get out the broken part.