Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have an on an 5.5MCCKP2268G and it would appear that the

Customer Question

I have an on an 5.5MCCKP2268G and it would appear that the starter motor has crapped out are there any available for this model if so where can I get it and how much, if not available how long to get one ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

When looking for a starter, I would check eBay first, as they are going to be the cheapest place to find one. The prices range from $30-$60 from what I seen with a quick search.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Your particular unit does not have a mechanical starter. It uses what is called an "Inertia Start System".

Basically, it feeds DC power through a special set of windings in the generator, and uses the generator as an electric motor to crank the engine. Once the engine is started and the generator is producing power, a relay in the control box disconnects the DC power from the start windings.