Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My Briggs and Stratton Engine will not turn over enough to

Customer Question

My Briggs and Stratton Engine will not turn over enough to start. I have 12.7 volts at battery post on the solenoid. Only 5.5 volts to the starter. I have a brand new starter, new solenoid, and have cleaned all of the connections with a wire wheel and blown out all plugs with compressed air. When I jump across the solenoid I still only get 5.5 volts at the starter.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I am a small engine mechanic, but never ran into this problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Your battery appears to be too low to start the unit. What is battery voltage when you turn key to start? If 5.5 volts, battery is too low for start.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I told you, its 12.7 volts on the battery side of the solenoid, so the Battery has 12.7 volts

Does the engine turn if you use the flywheel screen to turn it manually?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the Flywheel turns. The Engine turns over with the starter if sparkplug is removed also. Somewhere I am losing voltage???

Jump from battery direct to the starter terminal, with ground on block. If it does not turn, I still think battery.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did do that, and I am jumping from my truck to the battery on tractor, and it still wont turn it over. Starter laying on ground works like crazy. But when installed on machine it wont turn the engine over . The only thing that has not been replaced is the key switch.

And this is new starter and was same with the old one? Makes no sense, and there is no place for voltage to be lost. Good ground?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
same as old starter. I even grounded starter and hot wire right from my truck battery, still wont turn the engine over. Its not hydraulicing either, it just doesn't have enough juice??? I told the customer she may have got a bad starter. I am at a loss, never had this happen before.

Everything points to a starter that is drawing too many amps.

I see question is still open, did you find the problem?