JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I changed the oil & filter on my courage 20 mower engine &

Customer Question

I changed the oil & filter on my courage 20 mower engine & the change oil light will not go out. Is there a way to reset the operation hrs ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Most of these meters are designed so that the light blinks or comes on at 50 hour intervals and will stay on until the meter rolls over to the next hour. For instance, it will show up or start blinking at or near 50 and go away at 51. There is no way to manually reset it, it is the design of the meter.

Make certain on that engine that you fill the oil filter and allow it to sit a moment prior to installing it on the engine otherwise you will end up with an air pocket in the filter that can cause you problems.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

The meter is designed so that it flashes or blinks at 50 hour intervals to alert you that it is time to change the oil. It will normally start flashing just before the 50, 100, 150 hour intervals and will stop once the hourmeter has rolled over to the next hour 51, 101,151 and so on.