Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

HMSK80 Tecumseh engine on my MTD snowblower starts on the

Customer Question

HMSK80 Tecumseh engine on my MTD snowblower starts on the first pull with full choke and three pumps of the primer bulb. The engine runs for a few seconds and then dies. Neither throttle or choke have effect during the few seconds of running time. After three pumps on the primer bulb it will start again. it seems to only get fuel through the primer and then dies of fuel exhaustion. Have done a complete carb rebuild which did not help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 8 months ago.

Sounds like the main jet needs to be cleaned. Pull carb and clean. reinstall, it should be fine. If the main jet is in the nut on the bowl for this model, you can just clean that nut and make sure all holes are opened up for fuel.

Expert:  JON replied 8 months ago.

Yes, your jet is in the bolt holding bowl on. clean that very well and try it first. If that doesn't fix it, pll carb and clean entire carb . I see this on a daily basis on machines. Let me know if I can do anything further.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As stated in my original question I did a full carb rebuild which included replacing the main jet with a new one so I know that it is not clogged.
Expert:  JON replied 8 months ago.

I apologize, I was unable to see what all was previously done. I will OPT out as apparently I unable to see all of the posts

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I know you cleaned out the carb but did you check the passage ways in the copper bolt that holds the bowl on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As part of the rebuild kit a NEW copper bolt was provided so I did not clean the old one I replaced it with a new one.

Ok if you keep priming it will it stay running

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good question, I didn't try that so I honestly don't know. If it does keep running when pumped what would that indicate?

Fuel starvation, if it does , remove the gas cap to male sure it's not that , a faulty cap won't let it vent , also when you rebuilt the cab did you make sure the float was level or slightly above level when upside down ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Float adjustment seems correct using the Tecumseh carb tool. Did the upside down test and all looks OK. I tried to run it without the fuel cap to check the vent. That didn't help either.

Ok does it stay running when continuing to prime it ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately it is not possible for me to try that now.

Ok. give that a try and let me know how it works , it will give some indication of if it's starving for fuel or not

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How does this work (the fee structure) .... can we continue it tomorrow?
Sure , we can keep communication until it's fixed , I get a notification when you reply
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Perfect. I'll be back to you tomorrow.
Ok sounds good