JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a westerbeke 3.0 generator in my boat. It runs fine

Customer Question

I have a westerbeke 3.0 generator in my boat. It runs fine in the driveway but when I take it out it runs fine for about 20 mins. and then stops. Could this be a weak fuel pump? The fuel line comes from the fuel filter housing that also feeds one of the outboards. Could the problem be that the weak fuel pump can't pull enough fuel when the outboard is running?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a westerbeke 3.0 gas marine generator that is about 10 years old and has about 310 hours on it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Put a new carburetor on about a year ago , just changed plugs and have an inline glass fuel filter that dosen't look like much gas is flowing through when the generator is running. This seemed to start after changing the main fuel filters for the outboards.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I would try and see if you can upgrade to a bigger fuel pump. If you are not seeing much fuel in filter, then you are not getting the fuel to the Generator that is needed. Do you see any downside to the outboard engine(s)? I would recommend changine filters or getting a new pump. If you can run it alone and it never has a problem, the problem is going to be in the outboards taking too much from the Generator. Let me know if I can be of more assistance. GL!