Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

The main drive belt on my Husqvarna riding mower (a 2350 I

Customer Question

The main drive belt on my Husqvarna riding mower (a 2350 I think) has become loose?
Engine running fine but it struggles to go up even a mild grade. The drive belt has never been adjusted and the machine only has a bit over 50 hrs on it. How do I adjust the belt?
How tight should it be when I'm done?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

See page 22 in the manual above. The spring on the idler tensions the belt, there is no adjustment. See if the spring is in place and if the belt is on all the pulleys. You may want to replace the belt if it has never been changed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think Curtis read my question. The mower deck works just fine. The blades spin like a helicopter. My problem has nothing to do with the mower deck. The lawn mower itself won't move. The DRIVE belt or transaxel is the problem. My question was how to get to it, can it be tightened and if so, how tight should it be? Wasted $24

I read the question and found the motion drive belt. Did you look at the manual, page # *****?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
34;Engine running fine but it struggles to go up even a mild grade." This should have defied what I was needing.

I addressed the drive belt! Did you LOOK at the manual page 22 ????

Did you find your problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Page 22 does indeed reference the the drive belt as well as the mower deck belt. It fails to mention that the steering wheel shaft needs to be removed and how to do it along with the other two bolts holding bracing that have to be removed to thread the belt in so that it does not rub on all three of these. It would seem that the service guy at Lowes didn't know either since there is a bright shining worn spot where it was mounted briskly rubbing the steering shaft from when it was replaced last time. Might be why I only got a bit over 12 hours of running from this belt. Got well over 60 hours on the original.
I can't blame Curtis for that if he was referencing the manual. I guess I just expected a bit more than "go read the manual" as an answer. I figured it out.

Good job! Thanks for the reply!