Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Onan Marquis 700 Generator was running but stopped now it

Customer Question

Onan Marquis 700 Generator was running but stopped now it will crack but will not start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes there is fuel but whe nI discon the fuel lin I am not getting any
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: trying I am out here camping nad it is down on me
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: how cna I test the spark plug
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

What is the model number of the genset?

If you are disconnecting the fuel line at the right side of the genset, you will not get fuel coming through. The fuel pump is on the genset, and it pulls the fuel from the tank.

To test for fuel, you need to remove the fuel line from the carburetor and crank the engine. It is an electric pump, and should run when cranking.

Testing the spark plug is simple.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.
Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.
Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.
Check both cylinders.

.