Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Trying to start gen, it will only run if I continue to spray

Customer Question

Trying to start gen, it will only run if I continue to spray starting fluid into the carb. I took fuel line off carb and the fuel pump is pumping fine.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel tank is full, there is no shut off valve. I can press the stop for prime and the fuel pump pumps fuel fine
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, but there is only 90.3 hours on gen.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Make and model? Does the carburetor have an electric solenoid in it? Is this solenoid clicking when switch is turned on and off? If it has it, it plugs the main jet in the carburetor and keeps fuel from cylinder.