Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Murray 13HP riding lawn mower with with aTecumseh

Customer Question

I have a Murray 13HP riding lawn mower with with aTecumseh engine. I just put a new carb on it, am getting gas to the carb, engine trys to turn over, but won't actually fire. magneto on front of engine is matchbook width away from top turning flywheel, spark plug is new. just won't start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I am getting fuel to the carb
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have bypassed the dead man switch only to be able to jump it myself from the car, selenoid doesn't work, battery dead, so jump starting from car to ground and starter directly on mower.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

do you have spark at the plug ??

do you have a solenoid on the bottom of the carb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
never mind.. found out that when I bypassed the dead man switch it wouldn't start... must be a constant off until you sit on it... once I hooked it back up properly... motor started right up.