Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kubota z121s zero turn mower that won't turn one

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i have a Kubota z121s zero turn mower that won't turn one direction...
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it backs up straight
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: just started doing this last night
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yeah
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was purchased brand new from a Kubota Dealer 1 year ago. It worked fine last night the first 30 min I mowed, then I suddenly lost the ability to turn right. It goes forward turning left just fine, backs up straight just fine, but can not go forward straight or turn right going forward.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Does the right arm have same feel as the left? Follow the right linkage back to the transmission and see if the linkage may have come loose.

The two transmissions use a common belt, so it will not be belt problem or it would affect bot transmission. If not the linkage, could the free wheel lever on the left side be pulled?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did check those already, the left and right arms have the same feel (same tension, etc) and both arms appear to have the same / identical linkages still in tact. The arms each connect to a hydralic press for the mower to go forward. I had also checked the belt, it is in tact and not broken. You might need to help describe the free wheel lever, i'll check that but i'm not sure this model has that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, if by 'free wheel' you mean to allow the mower to freely roll the wheels... I did try that already as well. On this model, you can disengage by pulling a lever located on the back end of the mower behind each wheel, locking a pin in to 'free roll' the mower for example if towing it. If you are referring to something else please let me know. thanks

Yes, freewheel to allow mower to roll free. That seems to leave only the transmission! One last thing to check is the wheel hub to the axle connection. Could the wheel be spinning on the axle shaft? f wheel was spinning, you lose the drive on that side.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Did you find problem?