JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 42 in. zero turn and its making a weird noise on

Customer Question

I have a 42 in. Hustler zero turn and its making a weird noise on the right rear side and seems to slow down on that side the longer you cut with it. I topped off the gear lube on both rear drive gear boxes but it still does the same thing ...any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It only whines and makes weird noise when trying to go forward or backwards not in neutral
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

So, it sounds like the hydro is going bad on the right side based on what information that you have provided.

This is an integrated pump and wheel motor assembly and there is no way to check the output pressure of the pump on this style hydro. You could try to have the hydro rebuilt but it is usually not worth it in that they typically only last for a very short time and can be rather expensive to rebuild. You are better off to replace the hydro with a new one, which is a much better long term solution to the problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks John. .how expensive is this hydro, and how complicated is it to remove and replace?

The hydro pump can be between $550 - $600 depending on where you purchase it from. It is fairly easy to replace in that you can remove the wheel and a hand full of bolts, the drive belt and the hydro can be removed from the machine and replaced.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.