Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I am getting a popping sound when I pull-start my lawn

Customer Question

Hi, I am getting a popping sound when I pull-start my lawn mower. I have recent gas with stabilizer and a new spark plug; it just pops and won't start.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes to both.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I haven't changed the air filter, but it was running fine an hour ago...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Check the flywheel key. It sounds as though the timing has been thrown off for some reason. Has anything been hit recently?