Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

15hp Briggs I/C engine on Bolens, blows smke.. I have

Customer Question

15hp Briggs I/C engine on Bolens, blows smke.. I have removed head and find the compression chambe and cylinder head very clean,, The gasket has no breaks in it and was not burnt. I did however find what appear to be spider web and hairline cracks on the intake duct where it passes through the push rod galley. Also appears to be spider web on the inside of the duct (same wall as the outside of the duct). Could the be a vacuum transfer of oil through the intake duct if it is cracked through??
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It is a 2007 or 2008 model -- 283h07-0197-e1.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes..I have the head of now. Is it possible for oil to be transferred in this maner.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like you are leaking pressure and it is not having enough to start the machine. How do plugs look?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The engine starts fine, and blows smoke after it warms up. The plus was wet.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Are they black on tips? Is the oil going into cylinder, or is it leaking onto muffler and smoking. Sounds like it is seeping through the cracks you refered to and causing smoke. Normally its head gasket issues, but you seem to have proved that theory wrong already. I would say that your theory is correct by the info given