Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I bought a Stihl FS 45 String Trimmer in 2003. The End Shaft

Customer Question

I bought a Stihl FS 45 String Trimmer in 2003. The End Shaft Bearing has worn out. I was told I would have to buy a new shaft, but they are very hard to find. I ordered a new End Shaft Bearing for this model through eBay. The old one was very tight and difficult to remove, but came out. The new one is also going to be difficult to get in. Any ideas how to insert the new one?
Also, how do I remove the drive tube from the engine?
Do you lube the drive cable in this model? The manual doesn't say?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The lower bearing is not usually to difficult to replace, the cable should line up with the new bearing fairly easily, you may have to turn the shaft a little bit in order for it to slip together properly. As for lubing the driveshaft, (YES), it does need to be lubed on occasion. In order to do so you will need to remove the housing from the engine. If you will turn the machine over, upside down, and take a look you will see screws coming in from the bottom of the plastic housing. If you want to just loosen them you can then remove the shaft without a lot of disassembly other wise you will end up having to disassemble and then reassemble the plastic housing or top cover. Stihl offers a driveshaft lube but and good quality lithium based grease will work to lube the shaft.