Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Have a Deere D170 with 54" deck. Just turned 100 hours and

Customer Question

Have a John Deere D170 with 54" deck. Just turned 100 hours and just added a John Deere mulching kit, installed by dealer. Problem is that it keeps leaving a triangular pile of cut grass which seems to be coming from between the far right blade (by chute) and the middle blade. Mulcher plate is set at highest level. So the cut is really ugly, and sometimes it leaves a second pile of cut grass between far left blade and middle blade. We mow every 4-6 days, and have the deck height set at one notch above 3". Any thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: From the start of ownership it did not give a good clean cut with the beautiful lines on the lawn. I added the mulcher, hoping that would help but it did not
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Shut-off is open and fuel fresh. Keep it full.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, I have it at dealer right now, and all they are saying is that they don't know what they can do. Blades are new (came with the mulching kit) and deck is level.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

i have to ask, are the blades all on correctly with the turned end up? Do all blades seem to spin freely when not engaged?