Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Engine would not start--no compression. I removed head and

Customer Question

Engine would not start--no compression. I removed head and found that head was not torqued down properly-not torqued down on one side. Got gasket sets and cleaned it all up and noticed that the exhaust valve only seated on one side-the other side I could see light through.How could an engine even run like that? what caused this problem???.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what we are talking about.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really! I've never seen a valve do this!!!It is not burnt either and the vale seat is fine also.. Can't understand how this could be.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Valve is bent form hitting piston, valve likley stuck and hit piston!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you turn the valve on it's seat, it still shows light through on only the one side. That rules out a bent valve!!

So you say valve seat is loose? Seat may be loose in the head, Can't tell without removing the valve.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. Seat is not loose! If the valve were bent, when you rotate the valve on it's seat, the gap would turn! It doesn't!!!

Good luck with it, you know more than I. I will opt out. Maybe I need more experience!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Initially, one might think the valve is bent, but I then removed the valve to in spect the valve itself and the seat--not burnt or anyway damaged---strange to me!!!

Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I would consider checking the valve guides, if you can see light and the valve is straight, then it seems the valve seat may of turned oval.