Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Kawasaki FB460V is not sparking. I've replaced the spark

Customer Question

My Kawasaki FB460V is not sparking. I've replaced the spark plug and ignition module. I am stumped
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I've been trying to fix it for two weeks. Ran fine for two hours of mowing. Shut it off and then couldn't start it back up.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: There's fuel. The spark plug is wet with fuel if I take it out. When grounding the plug I can't get a spark
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: That's the plan. So far anyway
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's a John Deere 165 hydro. It may have the ignition improvement kit on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

This engine uses an igniter, a single one wire module. If you have new coil and no spark, the igniter needs to be checked and likley replaced. See picture. below.

# ***** in the Deere link.

M73484ELECTRICAL COIL

My response shows as customer!

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already replaced the igniter module. Still no spark. I have not replaced the coil, and I know it's easy for you to say that it's probably the coil then. But it started right up two hours before. Are there any fuses or any other items that may be causing this aside from the coil?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

No fuses, just the magnet, coil and igniter! Nothing else.

You said ignition module, I assumed you had replaced the coil next to the flywheel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was at the Deere shop yesterday and brought them my igniter module (not coil). He plugged it into a running 165 and it would not fire up. So he concluded that it was the igniter module. Bought that for $85 and got it all put that together and still no spark. So I'm a bit baffled at this point. What would be the odds it is both the igniter and coil at the same time?

Wiring ok between the coil and igniter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see any issues. I have two new connectors, but what kind of gauge wire would it be if I replaced it? If it was the wire, then the module would still be good. However, the Deere shop tested it with their wire and mower and said it was bad.

Then the alternative is to replace the coil!

I assume you have tried different spark plug!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What gauge wire is from the coil to igniter? I can replace it just to see. But have you heard of both going back at the same time? Yeah I have a brand new spark plug.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it possible the battery may have enough juice to turn it over, but not enough to turn the flywheel to produce a spark?

No, if engine is cranking over, there should be enough to produce the spark. You could always try charging batter, but I doubt it will help!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
by not enough to turn the flywheel, I mean that my flywheel does spin but maybe not with enough rpm?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have any idea what gauge the wire is from the igniter to the coil?

#14 gage would be fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would just find it hard to believe that the igniter was tested negative and also the coil was bad. But maybe.

!! Never know!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there a way to just test the wire with a multimeter?

Check continuity with ohm meter!

I see question still open. Did you find problem?