JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I purchased a OneWash this spring. I have only used it once,

Customer Question

I purchased a OneWash this spring. I have only used it once, and it started and performed as advertised. Fast forward a couple of months: Today I tried to start it and the recoil chord repeatedly seized up on the first pull, then pulled out with difficulty on the second pull. I repeated that sequence with choke in/out, kill switch on/off, dial in min/max position, and supply water on/off. I released the pressure in the gun as well. I then removed the spark plug and the engine easily on every pull. I did that for a couple dozen pulls, replaced the plug, and the engine seized like before. I removed the oil check plug and it was a little overfilled, so I drained of about 1/2 CUP to the default level. It still seized up, so I quit for the night. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Based on your provided information it sounds like the compression release is not working properly. These engines have a mechanical compression release built into the camshaft that bumps open the valve when cranking at slow rpm to allow you to turn the engine easier. It could be that the release is not working properly or the valves are too far out of adjustment which would cause it to not operate as designed.

Your indication is that the machine is only a few months old and if that is the case I am going to recommend that you take it to an authorized service center to have it repaired. It should be under the manufacture warranty still at this point therefore it should not cost you anything to have it repaired. If you start trying to repair it yourself it will void any warranty that you may have left on it.

If I were attempting to repair this the first thing that I would look at is the valve clearances to make certain that they are correct, should be .004 inches on both valves.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.