Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My Deere l108 has no power to the starter solinoid fuse is

Customer Question

My John Deere l108 has no power to the starter solinoid fuse is good relay is good. Also no lights when turn the key. Tried a new ignition switch also
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just got the mower from my father in law. Also for I jump the solinoid it cranks over
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: John Deere l108 maybe a 2010 model idk
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just gave you everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

No lights or clicking when turning the key? No power t the key switch. Did you check the voltage past the fuse? Power for key coms direct through the fuse, from the starter solenoids posiitve post. We assume battery is good and cables are clan and tight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ignition switch has 12v to it.

Do you hear the fuel solenoid click when you turn key on and off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no. I have nothing. Also when I got the mower there was a loose plug just hanging off the wires that go to what I assume is the ptp safety. It has three wires two go to the ignition switch one goes to the RIO safety. I can't find anywhere to plug it in.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a link for what the numbers are ?

Does it still have the fuel solenoid in the carburetor? May be removed by previous owner! You may have a safety switch, seat or brake , or pto , that would keep starter from working. Will engine spin if you jump the two cable terminals on the starter solenoid?

G to the Deere link and input the model number.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it cranks when I jump the solinoid. Also I have no head lightswhen I turn the key.

I have a schematic for 100 series but it is very detailed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't seem to find a model or serial number tag. I see one on the motor but I'm guessing that's not it.

page 1

page 2

my response shows as customer again!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well it looks like checking the safety switches is next. What ones would not let the mower start? Also what would stop the lights from coming on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What does "my response shows as customer again!" Mean?

nothing, just means that it shows I don't reply! So it still shows I need to respond!

seat, brake and pto will keep engine from engaging starter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What's the best way to test them?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would any of them Stop the lights from coming on?

Lights may not come on until engine is running. Common for them to be wired direct to the stator.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I pulled the pto safety harnes and checked resistance on all the blades and they are open with it on and off
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has 4 wires how can I bypass it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Damn man can you transfer me to someone else?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Help!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All safety switches check out. What now ?

Let me opt out. I was out walking my dogs. Let's see if anyone else will help.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Curtis is right the tractor will not run lights till its running. It could be the starter solenoid itself , have you pulled the solenoid and tested it ? .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no power to the solenoid.
Lock the parking brake and cross the post on the solenoid , will it just turn over or actually start ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It did not start but I didn't hold it long. My screw driver was welding itself to it so I pulled it off. When I have time I'll hold it in there longer and let you know.

It should turn the starter over and it fire up , if it doesn't , it may not be getting spark due to a faulty safety switch .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put a charger on the battery in the jump setting and jumped the solinoid and but it turns over very slow and only a few rotations at a time. Couldn't get to start.

Do you have a multimeter? , where we can get a voltage reading on the battery

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea after sitting for a day it has 12.48 v

Ok , have you tried jumping the starter directly to see if it's the solenoid if it's turning over slow or something else ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's a couple different things that could cause that , the battery if one of the cold cranking amps is bad , the solenoid or the starter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Maybe I have multiple problems then because I'm not getting any voltage to the solenoid. Also I put the battery charger directly to the starter and it still barely turns over.

Ok is it a slow charger or trickle charger ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has several setting. Start/charge on one switch and 55amp/10amp/2amp. I had it in start and 55 amp. When I tried the other settings it did nothing.

The first problem is we can't get it to turn over fast enough to even see if it has spark. So first I'd take the battery to a auto parts store or battery store to test to see if it has a bad cell . If so the next question is did the battery die during usage ? If so them the charming system would have to be looked at .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried jumping it with my car and using a battery charger. It should still turn over even if the battery is bad. The big problem is all safety switches are good, fuse is good, relay is good, ignition switch is good, and still no power to the solinoid? What else could it be?

If you jump the starter directly from the car battery it should turn over fast , but it your using your car to jump it through its battery with a bad cell no it won't turn over fast . The battery ground could be bad and that stop juice going to the solenoid but without charging it I'm wondering what kind of voltage your getting

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a new starter on the way because it wouldn't turn over good when I put the charger directly on it. But it's still not getting any power to the solinoid with 12.5v on the battery.

If you cross the post of the solenoid will it turn the motor over , even slowly ? If so your getting juice to the one side of the solenoid.

You said earlier if you jump the solenoid it cranks right ? , if so it's getting juice to the one post but the solenoid isn't transferring it to the other post the starter motor cable is connected to .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea it does have power but it's not getting the signal power or whatever you want to call it that makes the solinoid transfer power.

Have you replaced the solenoid?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. When I put 12v to the low current side it works. It's just not getting any signal to it.
If all your safety switches are good like you say then this is a dead tail sign of a failed solenoid. It will not transfer power to the starter when the key is turned , some just click and others make no noise at all but the solenoid sounds like it's bad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I put 12v to the two blade connectors on the solinoid the mower turns over. When I turn the key there is no power to the blade connectors that would energize the solinoid. That to me says its somthing else and I've triple checked the safety switches so what else could it be. This is the question I keep asking over and over.

And I keep telling you it's a symptom of a bad solenoid , which you haven't replaced , do you have a multimeter ? If so you can test the solenoid

Here is a video on testing it

https://youtu.be/MsvJMnpQBas

You can jump a bad solenoid by crossing the post so I'd Definitely test it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is exactly what I did and I didn't get 12v to it when I turned the key. Then to double check it I put 12v to the signal or input to see if that would energize the solinoid and complete the large power circuit for the starter and it did. So two test have shown the solinoid to be good. Then I checked the safety switches and they were good. So once again I have power to the large side of the solinoid when I jump the large side it turns over. I don't have power to the small side of the solinoid when I turn the key. when I put power to the small side it turns over. When I found no power to the small side of the solinoid I checked all the safety switches and they were good. My ignition switch tested good and I tried a known good one with no difference. I tried a known good ignition relay, I checked the fuse. What else could stop me from getting power to the small side of the solinoid?

If you have 12 coming in but not going out the solenoid is bad or it could be a bad ground etc

You have replaced the ignition, checked the safety switches etc , it leaves the solenoid . It's cranking over when you put power to the other post because it's bad and will not do it when the key is turned .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dude I only have 12 volts to the large side. It's a switch that is controlled by a smaller current circuit. The switch has power to one side but isn't closing to complete the circuit and turn the starter because the smaller current signal side does not have 12 v.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your not understanding. It also cranks over when I put power to the to small blade connections. So if I jump the large side it turns over and if I just put 12 volts to the small blade connectors it does its job and completes the large circuit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anyone else on here have any ideas?
Then we need to test to make sure your ignition is sending signal to the solenoid
https://youtu.be/LnqdbcQYAI4Another way to test
Have you checked the battery ground ?
I will gladly opt out and see if someone else can help
Sorry I couldn't help more , it seems your ignition isn't sending signal to the solenoid or the solenoid is bad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ignition is not sending signal to the solinoid that's what I just told you over and over. I'm trying to figure out why. It's like your not reading what I'm typing.

I've said over and over it could be a bad ground , or shorted wire . How did you check each switch ?