Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My Deere riding lawnmower worked fine until I backed it into

Customer Question

My John Deere riding lawnmower worked fine until I backed it into the garage to attach the grasscatcher. Then when I tried to drive it forward nothing happens. The accelerator peddle is very soft like it's not attached. Will not go in reverse either.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Check your belts for wear or damage and make sure the linkage is moving on top of the transmission. After you have done this, be sure that the pulley on top of the transmission is spinning ! If you have done all this, remove the linkage from the transmission, push the lever on the transmission forward. Also, check that the spring on the foot pedal is still installed correctly. Have any of the tires been removed after backing into garage?

If it dont move after this you have something internal inside the transmission, please repsond back with your results and we can go further !

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pulley is spinning on transmission but belt is very loose.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Belts are fairly new. Wheels have not been removed.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

If the best is loose, I would say you have a belt issue. possible that it has gotten stretched. Is the drive belt running on all pulleys like it should? At times I have seen it slip off the idler pulley and become loose so it will not work as it should

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm going to have to remove the deck to get to the pulleys and figure out the problem. I was hoping it would be a simple a lever pulled out or something.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

no problem. good luck. I hope you have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only pulleys going around are the deck pulleys when the blades are engaged. The other pulleys are not spinning when the accelerator or reverse peddles are depressed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The belt is loose and in position that goes to the transmission.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

I would recommend changing the belt. If it were mine, I would change the belt first and go from there.