Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Giant mow 48".t a tree root, blade drivebelt broke. Replaced

Customer Question

Giant mow 48".Hit a tree root, blade drivebelt broke. Replaced now get vibration so bad, clutch attachment to crank bolt fell out.Reattached tight, lock washer as before. After 1/2 hour fell out again. What am I missing??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Was blow to the crankshaft end with the pulleys? You can have a bent crankshaft! Has to be perfectly round, with clutch removed, use a dial indicator to check crankshaft or without one, use a pointer clamped the the frame, and touching the crankshaft and teun crank to see any deviation, that would indicate bent shaft! Has to be less than .002 out of round!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was the blade that hit the root. Old belt did not immediatly break. I mowed a few times with no problems then belt broke. With new belt had vibration [I think] after an hour or two of mowing.I use it on my property only 1/3 acre not commercially. Could it be the belt?

I suspect the blade spindle shaft that hit the root is bent, and it is causing the vibration and is transmitted to the rest of the system. letting the crank bolt come loose!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. I can try those things on my day off. Thanks. What if I have more questions about this??

Log back on , there should be a link in your email to get back.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

I see question is still open. Did you find problem? Please rate to close.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looks like problem was electric clutch. I have ordered a new one and should get it within 2 days.Was vibrating like mad without even being engaged.