Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

It is a Craftsman Honda GCV 160 mower only couple of months

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: It is a Craftsman Honda GCV 160 mower only couple of months use, was mowing my sister's yard, went over a small bump, and self-propel stopped working, runs fine. Tried the adjustment, clockwise and counter clockwise like it says in manual, but nothing. All repair shops I contacted have at least 5 week wait. Is there anything else I can try myself? Thank you
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Craftsman with Honda GCV 160, bought it 2 months ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, if not, will have to just push it every few days so grass won't get so thick, very heavy to push, don't guess repair places will slow down anytime soon
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just whether it is something you feel the average person can fix or better not to touch anything - this is my first mower, we pay a company to cut the front yard after my father passed, so this is what I use to cut backyard for my mother. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Model number? Sounds like the drive belt has come off, or the drive cable is not moving the drive lever on the transmission. Either one will require taking the cover off that covers the belt. Do you have the owners manual showing the belt?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have manual, but don't see mention of belt. It says to adjust drive control clockwise or counter clockwise, but I already tried that. It also says to Check belt, but doesn't say how. Also mentions that it could be debris clogging drive operation and to disconnect spark plug boot and clean out debris, which I have not tried, yet.

If I had model number I could look at the parts list!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model ####-##-####is written on Operator's Manual

looks like cover is under the deck and mower would have to be up to get at.

I see question is still open. Did you see my response?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Too complicated, have to take to be repaired.

oK, thanks!