Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I own a Gravely ZT HD60. I mowed the other day and then

Customer Question

I own a Gravely ZT HD60. I mowed the other day and then parked the mower in the garage. Today I got the mower out to mow and the when I engaged the PTO the mower shutdown. I tried again and the same thing. I checked the blades and sure enough there was a VERY small amount of bailing twine wrapped around one of the blades. I removed the twine and still no change. I noticed the blades seem locked up but it doenst make sense. I checked the other 2 blades and there are no obstructions. Any info would be appreciated. The mower is under warranty but I really cant be 3 weeks without a mower.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Blades should not be locked with everything off! Can you determine if it is one blade or all? If one, the spindle bearing is likely bad, and the spindle needs to be replaced or repaired.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is all the blades. BTW the mower has 20 hours on it. The amount of twine was very small..im talking less the 2 feet. I have had mowers with worse wrap ups that functioned fine afterward. The thing that is strange is that I mowed 4 acres on Wednesday and it never had an issue. I parked it then started it up today and it wont engage..just shuts down the engine.

The belt needs to be slacked, and deck checked, it may not be the deck, but most likely it is a pulley or belt problem. If the electric clutch was locked, the blades would stay engaged!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One last thing. If the clutch was locked would the mower start?? The mower runs fine it is just once you try to engage the pto is shuts down

looks like two belts by the parts link above. One may be off , jamming the other!

If clutch was locked, engine would start with load of the deck. I don't see that being the problem.

I think it is deck, and belts are likley issue. May be best to drop the deck!

Did you see my response? I see question is still open?