Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 20hp briggs intek engine that will sometimes crank

Customer Question

I have a 20hp briggs intek engine that will sometimes crank when cold and will not crank at all when hot. it has a new carb and new coil on it
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: maybe 5 years old and i havent had it long enough to know if this has happened before
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes i do plan to repair myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Is engine turning, just not starting, or will not turn full circle? Single cylinder engine I assume.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
single and is turing over normally
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just not starting when hot at all and difficult to start when cold

Have you checked the spark and the fuel solenoid in the carburetor? I see fuel solenoids that will not open as soon as the key is turned on. The solenoids tip closes the main jet of the carburetor, and will cause no start or delayed start. Best test of the solenoid, is to remove it and replace with a old Briggs bowl bolt. If nt a fuel or spark issue, the valves may need to be adjusted. Briggs valves should be adjusted every 100 hours. .004 to 006 inch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just installed a complete new carb on it their morning and it included a new solenoid. I'm looking at the valve lash right now and it appears to not have enough. Have to go get a feeler gauge to be sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Compression test is about 95 psi on a warm engine

Compression is fine. If valve adjustment does not help, do you have good spark? If so, take the old fuel solenoid, you removed, and cut off the working tip, and install it as a dummy for test.

Did you find problem? I see question is still open.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not yet, I ran out of time to work on it till the weekend. In the process of changing out head gasket.

OK>