Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

I have an approx 2000 yamaha golf cart. it will not start. i

Customer Question

i have an approx 2000 yamaha golf cart. it will not start. i hace checked out the starter switch on the gas pedal and it seems fine. i have power into1 side of the starters soloniod but nothing out the other side. i can get it to start by jumping out the solenoid? is there a way to test the solonoid on it's own?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes it is full. the cart worked fine at winter layup last fall. i rmoved the foot pedal switch and tested it and it is ok. The ignition wire seems fine as well, i have poer to 1 side of the solonoid.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, i have always worked on y own small motors.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i don't think anything else is wrong?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If you ground the black wire at the solenoid and apply battery voltage to the red/white wire the solenoid should start it. If it does not then the solenoid is bad.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks