JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

Have an atv that hadn't been started in a year. put a new

Customer Question

have an atv that hadn't been started in a year. put a new fully charged battery in & it started ,with choke open. when start to close choke engine would die. start back several times but would not let me close choke. finally would not start back or attempt to . so I drained old gas out & put fresh in, still not start. plug was wet with gas. I put a new plug in & still not start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

hi, my name is***** will try to help you in this repair. I would suggest to remove, clean, and rebuild the carb. Ethanol deposits are horrible for ATV or any small engine. Depending on model of ATV, you can just replace with aftermarket carb offline. Have you checked for spark on your machine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have used only ethanol free gas. have not checked spark. starter doesn't work I have to pull start, was by myself so couldn't pull & see if sparking
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I understand not being able to pull start and check for spark If the plug is wet, I would try and get the spark tested. I use a check spark tester ($40) and it allows for 1 person to check for spark. Costly though, for a 1 time use thing. I would try to have someone pull start it when you can while you check for the spark.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Have you solved your issue as of yet? I am here to help any way that I can. PLease let me know if there is anything I may do. If problem is solved, hope my answer was of some assistance. Please RATE me. I strive to be the best, ***** ***** rating will help me to do this. Thank you and have a good evening.