Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a Honda Generator HSG2500 which contains a Honda

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a Honda Generator HSG2500 which contains a Honda petrol GX160 engine and a SAWAFUJI NAC160 (NAC2200) brushless Generator.The engine started to get a bit rough after two hours run time, and also then revs slowed down slightly, but it continued to run.The next day I cleaned the spark plug and regapped it, and within an hour the same symptoms appeared, but now the lights started flickering.The next day symptoms appeared within 30 min and lights flickered and went off.Now no electricity being generated,but a light will shine if I run a drill continuously off one of the plugs.The SAWFUJI manual says it is a self-exciting generator.That is where I am now.The capacitor?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, new fuel, half full, the tank filler hole has a filter in it,and the fuel cock/valve is open.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have not cleaned the carb.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I will do the work myself.I believe I have covered everything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

The capacitor is the most likely cause, but check all the wiring connections to make sure they are all clean and tight.

It is also possible you have a failed diode in the field winding.