Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a K series 14 HP. The coil keeps burning up. This is

Customer Question

I have a K series 14 HP. The coil keeps burning up. This is on a Case 444. The customer has replaced two coils in the last couple of months. This is because of to much power or voltage when running. I have replaced the coil and this keeps happening. The coils have been purchased at Napa Auto Parts. I just started this business 3months ago. I do have 15 yrs. Experience. The old boss used put a resistor in the line to coil,but I am not sure if this is the correct way to fix the problem. The customer has not been buying Kohler coil or the correct one. Please help. Thank you Merle Schoonard.(###) ###-#### ***** M Lawn Mower Repair LLC . Marion, Ohio
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

The coil voltage should not need to be cut back with a resistor, but using the correct coil is essential. Here is page right out of the service manual.

Here is correct coil.