Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

Hei Pearl, I have a question regarding a 1992 Honda HR173

Customer Question

Hei Pearl, I have a question regarding a 1992 Honda HR173 lawn mower...
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Honda HR 173
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 1992 model, so 24 years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I have mounted the throttle / choke governing springs the wrong way. Could you provide a photo or drawing of the correct placement of the 3 springs of the throttle control mechanism?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I have a pic or two that might help. What is the problem you're having?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your reply! On your GV100 carburetor picture I can see the throttle valve with the rod and return spring attached to it. On my mower, the return spring is connected to the smaller hole near the edge of the throttle valve, and the rod is connected to the larger hole closer to the center. The spring pulls the throttle valve toward the governor arm, so that the throttle is opened.To close the throttle and obtain idle speed, the throttle wire needs to "push" the governor arm toward the throttle. Is this normal? I would expect to see a spring somewhere that pulls the throttle toward closed position when the wire is relaxed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Addition: the force of the return spring also drives the governor arm toward its full throttle position...
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

It has a mechanical governor that helps push the linkage back. I don't have access to the shop manual now.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 months ago.

I haven't heard back from you. Did the info provided help?